[ih] Invention of term 'email'

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at meetinghouse.net
Tue Jun 19 06:05:22 PDT 2012

Craig Partridge wrote:
> On Jun 18, 2012, at 7:50 PM, Eric Gade wrote:
>
>> Hi.
>>
>> It seems that Network World is asking the wrong question, from a historian's perspective. It doesn't matter when the specific term 'email' was coined. What matters is the evolution of electronic mail, a topic on which Craig Partridge has written an excellent history for the transactions of the ACM (I think). Anyone have a link?
> http://www.ir.bbn.com/~craig/email.pdf

Craig... nice piece!  Don't think I've seen it before.

And perhaps it illustrates what's most irksome about this whole brouhaha
with Shiva A. -- the folks who were REALLY involved in email know that
it has many contributors.  Shiva, with cooperation from the press, is
pushing the lone inventor story, with a wronged inventor - plays well in
the media, but so far from the truth. Sigh...