[ih] XEROX/PUP and Commercialization (was Re: FYI - Gordon Crovitz/WSJ on "Who Really Invented the Internet?")

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Mon Jul 30 17:56:41 PDT 2012

Indeed, the history of The Internet is still being written.   I can
envision a future universe where The Internet is dominated by hundreds
of millions of people using handheld computers, communicating
primarily over the phone network, paying $1000 or more a year for
every device that they own to use the net, and only able to "plug in"
hardware and applications that are approved by the vendor.

Wait a minute .. how many I-thingies, tablets and smartphones are in
people's hands today!?    And what are they paying whom to use them
with no-longer-unlimited "data plans"?  And how fast is that type of
usage growing?

If I were in charge of that mythical Internet Company that wiped out
all the competitors a decade or so ago, I'd be a tad concerned.   I
don't particularly like the vision, but it may be inevitable.

/Jack Haverty