[ih] XEROX/PUP and Commercialization (was Re: FYI - Gordon Crovitz/WSJ on "Who Really Invented the Internet?")

Guy Almes galmes at tamu.edu
Mon Jul 30 07:51:20 PDT 2012

Bill et al.,
   Just a short note apropos both (a) the unfortunate government drive
to OSI of the 1980s and (b) Milo's distinctive sense of humor.

   At a late-1980s (or so) meeting of engineers from agency networks and
some NSFnet regional folks, we were obliged to go around the table,
reporting on how our networks were responding to the mandate to support
the (at least connectionless) OSI protocols.
   People were routinely making polite and overly optimistic statements
about how progress was being made, until it was Milo's turn to report
for NASA.
   "NASA", said Milo with a mostly straight face, "is going to OSI
<pause>, and to Mars, <pause> and to Pluto.  But not necessarily in that
order."
   From that moment, the meeting engaged in a greater degree of truth
telling, and I personally reckon the doom of OSI from that moment.

	-- Guy