[ih] XEROX/PUP and Commercialization (was Re: FYI - Gordon Crovitz/WSJ on "Who Really Invented the Internet?")

Dave Walden dave.walden.family at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 07:29:49 PDT 2012

The Western Union team won the Autodin-II procurement.  The BBN team
lost (at least partly by not being adequately responsive to what the
government asked for the in request for proposal -- this is not speculation).

Western Union had trouble meeting its development milestones (perhaps
partly by agreeing to what the government asked for in its request
for proposal -- this is speculation).

Eventually the government held a new procurement with the BBN team
and the WU teams bidding with government people somehow participating
in each team's bidding.

The BBN team was chosen to adapt the ARPANET technology to become DDN.

The WU Autodin-II contract was then canceled with the government
paying money to the WU team to end the contract.

That's how I remember it.  Peter Sevcik probably knows the story more
precisely.