[ih] XEROX/PUP and Commercialization (was Re: FYI - Gordon Crovitz/WSJ on "Who Really Invented the Internet?")

Bill Nowicki winowicki at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 29 15:01:32 PDT 2012

Oh yes, I agree with Jack Haverty's points. Perhaps I was guilt of the same sin by trying to simplify. Indeed, the government's role is fuzzy, not a stark binary choice at all. Sorry if I was not clear. What I was trying to say was that governments (not just the US for that matter) generally provided (maybe not always) the right mix of some central coordination with healthy competition. So it was not a step function, but rather a transition over a couple decades as efforts took a life of their own (IETF, InterOp, ISOC, etc.), while continuing to fund the research and educational communities to buy the tools they needed to design the next generation.