[ih] infrastructure history [was: who invented the Internet]

Larry Press lpress at csudh.edu
Thu Jul 26 12:18:02 PDT 2012

On 7/26/2012 11:31 AM, Andrew Russell wrote:

> I haven't watched the initial Obama comments that seemed to have touched off this controversy

It was these sentences from a campaign speech in Roanoke Virginia
(http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2012/07/13/remarks-president-campaign-event-roanoke-virginia):

"The Internet didn't get invented on its own. Government research
created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the
Internet."

 > most people - and certainly Crovitz - are (perhaps willfully)
ignorant of the available literature on these topics.

In a "reasonable" post, I cut Crovitz and the WSJ editors some slack by
suggesting that their ignorance was not willful, but may have been a
case of sub-conscious confabulation:

https://plus.google.com/114528586908817727732/posts/1cDvPWC2MxW

Loren Weinstein was not so kind :-):

https://plus.google.com/114528586908817727732/posts/1cDvPWC2MxW