[ih] infrastructure history [was: who invented the Internet]

Vint Cerf vint at google.com
Thu Jul 26 10:38:57 PDT 2012

ARPA and NSF especially are NOT laboratories; they are funding
agencies. They have strong technical leadership. The involvement of
individuals working for the USG and funding seems to me
incontrovertible in the Internet story. This is not to diminish the
essential role of the contractors (mostly academia but also private
sector - think of BBN, IBM, MCI among others)  involved in ARPANET and
NSFNET and Internet. Collaboration theme is strong here along with
very open processes and institutions.

vint