[ih] XEROX/PUP and Commercialization (was Re: FYI - Gordon Crovitz/WSJ on "Who Really Invented the Internet?")

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Wed Jul 25 14:40:00 PDT 2012

Hi Vint et al,

I mispoke if I implied that "no one can define the Internet".  As
DaveC pointed out, it's more that we haven't come to a consensus on
the definition, even within this small community of techies and
historians.  It's so easy to define The Internet that everyone has
their own definition.  To some people, it's the Web.  The under-30
crowd often equates it to Facebook, Twitter, and friends.  To others,
it's everybody accessible by email - many of whom you can't reach by a
TCP connection.  With 2+ billion people reported to now be "on The
Internet", I suspect there's quite a few definitions out there.

I share Vint's view that the Arpanet was not the beginning of the
Internet.  I view The Internet as more of a parasitical beast that
attached itself to the Arpanet, was nurtured by it in its childhood,
and ultimately killed it, just as it did with a bunch of other
networks and technologies.  Other people see it differently.

It might be possible at least to trace the lineage of the phrase "The
Internet".   I wonder if that phrase was ever trademarked or whatever
you do to legally protect such things.  I vaguely recall that ARPA was
at some point thinking about that kind of issue, around the time that
TCP was becoming an official DoD Standard.

There was a meeting, sometime in the late 70s or so, where I
personally think the phrase "The Internet" was first adopted as the
name for the thing we know today.  I recall being at one of the
periodic meetings, probably a TCP Working Group or ICCB meeting -
fewer than 20 people.   Vint had a non-technical agenda item - picking
a name to identify the set of projects that were collaborating to
build the TCP/IP-based world.  At the time, there were lots of
specific projects using TCP/IP to interact, e.g., Packet Radio,
Satnet, Arpanet, etc. etc., and all of the TCP-related work was being
done by people working on one of those projects.  But there was no
name for the collection of projects and the aggregate system being
built.  As I recall, this was causing some confusion as you worked up
the government bureaucracy, which could affect funding, so it was
important to fix.

Vint  proposed the term "Catenet" be used, reflecting the
conCATEnation of NETworks which TCP enabled.  While this didn't quite
elicit boos, the overall reception was pretty negative.  Someone
(Postel?) said it would sound like we were doing research involving
small furry mammals.  After much discussion, no phrasing seemed better
than "Internet", so Vint declared that "The Internet" (or perhaps "The
ARPA Internet") would be the name.  The "Internet Project" maybe
wasn't born that day, but that's when I think it got it's name.  Does
anyone else remember that meeting?

It would be interesting to know if the phrase "The Internet" was ever
legally protected, and by whom.  After the recent discussions about
who invented "Email", nothing would surprise me.  Perhaps Xerox really
did invent "The Internet" according to the legal system.  They did
have a lot of lawyers....

/Jack Haverty