[ih] FYI - Gordon Crovitz/WSJ on "Who Really Invented the Internet?"

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Wed Jul 25 09:05:10 PDT 2012

On 7/23/2012 12:03 PM, John Curran wrote:
> To be clear, I was not referring to the political aspects of the article,
> but  the references along the lines of:
>
>   "So having created the Internet, why didn't Xerox become the biggest
> company in the world? "

An extensive consideration of this is contained in:

    Fumbling the Future
    by Smith & Alexander

It's a cautionary tale about the role of middle-management in the
success or failure or corporate change.

When I started a lab at DEC, I was given a copy by Bob Taylor, who is
thought to have been the deep throat source for the book and who was
then running DEC's SRC lab.  He later asked me what I thought of the
book and I said that it seemed possible it would apply to DEC.  As
events unfolded, it did.

d/
--
  Dave Crocker