[ih] XEROX/PUP and Commercialization (was Re: FYI - Gordon Crovitz/WSJ on "Who Really Invented the Internet?")

Vint Cerf vint at google.com
Wed Jul 25 08:57:59 PDT 2012

the consequence of that choice is to make equivalent a wide range of
networking technology but seems to miss picking up the heterogeneity
that the TCP/IP architecture permitted. If you try to define
"internet" by applications we may as well then conclude there is no
difference between ARPANET, X.25, DECNET, SNA, and the Internet (as
defined by use of TCP/IP suite) etc.. and yet I think it is arguable
that adaptation to heterogeneity has been an important feature of the
TCP/IP protocol suite.