[ih] XEROX/PUP and Commercialization (was Re: FYI - Gordon Crovitz/WSJ on "Who Really Invented the Internet?")

Scott Brim scott.brim at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 07:52:39 PDT 2012

In general I +1 what Dave says but I want to point out something I
find rather interesting ...

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 10:31 AM, Dave Crocker <dhc2 at dcrocker.net> wrote:
> However I prefer to define "The Internet" as the start of Arpanet operation,
> since it's been in continuous operation since then, with all of its
> original, user-level applications still in use.
>
> I'm also obviously biased to buttress this view by noting the remarkable
> similarity between the email messages sent by Tomlinson in 1971 and the core
> of mail formats we we today.  This end-to-end service orientation prompted
> RFC 1775, To be "On" the Internet.

So it turns out that even in this group, engineering-heavy as it is,
"the Internet" is less defined by a technology accomplishment
(interworking independently administered networks) than by the
services end users experience (e.g. email).

Scott