[ih] XEROX/PUP and Commercialization (was Re: FYI - Gordon Crovitz/WSJ on "Who Really Invented the Internet?")

John Day jeanjour at comcast.net
Mon Jul 23 19:23:30 PDT 2012

I have to agree with Jack.  The idea of an internet was very much in
the air and was undoubtedly invented independently by many and about
the same time.  It was (like packet switching) obvious. Someone was
going to do it.

And to a large degree, which one ended up becoming dominant in the
market is also not that important except in terms of what kind of
legacy we get saddled with.  Gee, wasn't DOS or System/360 just the
greatest thing every!?  (not)  We all know the technically superior
solution seldom wins. That is not a mark of greatness in my book.

What I look for are those insights that turn things in a different
direction, that come out of the blue, that one didn't expect, that
make one re-think what you thought you knew.  To me those are the
truly great discoveries.  The ones we should be heralding.

In networking, I have only seen two:  Pouzin's shift to
non-determinism with datagrams, building a reliable network from
unreliable elements. And Watson's proof that bounding 3 timers are
the necessary and sufficient condition for synchronization.  All the
rest is pretty straightforward stuff that pretty much any of us could
have done.