[ih] Packet nets not connected to the ARPAnet

Alex McKenzie amckenzie3 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 23 16:18:46 PDT 2012

Yes, There were packet networks not connected to the ARPAnet.  Two in particular were: Cyclades/Cigale in France, and the European Informatics Network with nodes in 6 of the Common Market countries.  There _were_ some interconnections between the public packet networks (Telenet in the USA, Bell Canada, and the networks of the PTTs in western Europe and Japan), but these interconnections were extremely limited experiments for the most part.  CSNET (funded by the NSF) used both ARPAnet and Telenet for transport but only provided user-level (eg mail) interconnection and only for CSNET members.