[ih] URl construct

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Thu Jul 5 11:42:59 PDT 2012

Joly MacFie <joly at punkcast.com> wrote:

> I believe I have heard Tim B-L say that, in retrospect,   "://"  was
> unnecessarily verbose.

First question in the interview at http://www.bcs.org/content/ConWebDoc/3337

 "Looking back on 15 years or so of development of the Web is there
  anything you would do differently given the chance?"

 "I would have skipped on the double slash - there's no need for it. Also
  I would have put the domain name in the reverse order - in order of size
  so, for example, the BCS address would read: http:uk/org/bcs/members.
  This would mean the BCS could have one server for the whole site or have
  one specific to members and the URL wouldn't have to be different."

Shades of uk.ac.cam.phx...

Tony.
Viking, North Utsire, South Utsire: Southeasterly 3 or 4 backing northeasterly
4 or 5. Slight or moderate. Mainly fair, but fog patches in Viking. Moderate
or good, occasionally very poor in Viking.