[ih] FTP Design

John Day jeanjour at comcast.net
Tue Jul 3 13:14:26 PDT 2012

Guys, you forget.

Much of the discussions in FTP (and others of those meetings) was
getting the terminology sorted out.  Things were far from as
homogeneous as they are now.  None of these machines had been
intended to talk to others.  They all had their own terminology for
what they did.

And remember, the people involved had probably only seen their
machine, which they knew inside out, at least when we started this.
I remember "intense debates" over mundane things  like "open a file,"
"what does a write do" etc.  Not realizing that it meant very
different things on different machines.  Sometimes it turned out that
one operation on one machine, combinations of operations on another,
impossible on a third, parts of operations, etc. etc.  But it took a
lot of time to figure out that we were often talking about the same
thing.  Then of course there were the limitations that each imposed
and how to finesse them.

Doing FTP in those days entailed figuring out a lot more than you
might have thought.  ;-)