[ih] FTP Design

SM sm at resistor.net
Tue Jul 3 11:29:22 PDT 2012

Hi Dave,
At 10:00 03-07-2012, Dave Crocker wrote:
>Quite a bit of current IETF work appears slanted more towards an
>initial completeness that attempts to satisfy the /union/ of
>participants' desires, rather than the earlier IETF mode of seeking
>an initial version that satisfied only the /intersection/, deferring
>the remainder for later enhancement efforts.

The "process" is fashioned in such a way that it is easier to satisfy
the desires of participants than to argue.  That would not be much of
a problem if these "enhancements" were pruned by natural selection at
the next stage.  The rarely happens.

It's a bit more complicated than that.  There is a larger group of
people, more external pressure and formalism.  I wonder whether the
following would be palatable nowadays:

   "The objectives of FTP are 1) to promote sharing of files"

Regards,
-sm