[ih] FTP Design

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Tue Jul 3 10:20:50 PDT 2012

On 7/3/2012 9:07 AM, Noel Chiappa wrote:
>  I look back on all the
> work on Archie, Gopher, WAIS, etc, etc and think 'Goodness gracious, how was
> it not obvious to us that we needed the WWW (with explicit links in
> documentation)?'

Some work invents components.  Some invents systems that integrate
components.  Unix and the WWW are prime examples of the latter.  I
believe the only component innovation the original Unix guys claimed was
setuid.

In both categories, a major success often comes after some history of
previous efforts -- usually by others -- and often in reaction to it.

For example, I had always thought that Ray Tomlinson's email host
interconnection effort was a relatively random hack.  A clever idea that
he had spontaneously.  But one of the major bits of insight added as a
result of the recent email history brouhaha was having him confirm that
he was reacting to an Arpanet group effort that was going in a different
-- and more complex and less integrated -- direction.

Similarly, Unix was a reaction to the more complex Multics effort.

At this point, I think that any focus on a breakthrough needs to be
conducted in the context of the historical arc that includes it.

NLS, anonymous ftp, gopher were the essential operational arc that
eventually produced the Web, I believe.  Berners-Lee got the balance of
expressive power and ease-of-use exactly right, and he deserves every
credit for doing that.  But there was a flurry of activity in that space
at the time and if he hadn't figured out the balance, someone else would
have.

d/
--
  Dave Crocker