[ih] FTP Design

Dave Walden dave.walden.family at gmail.com
Sun Jul 1 04:24:37 PDT 2012

At 01:22 AM 7/1/2012, Vint Cerf wrote:
>steve crocker had a lot to do with NCP and likely with TELNET. I had
>thought that Dave W was the originator of Do/Don't etc but glad to
>know of Bernie's role in it. I had thought that Steve C might have
>been the inventor of NVT but he's probably a bit too busy in Prague to
>respond right now.
We described Bernie's role (inventing) and my role (supporting) in
negotiated options in
    <http://walden-family.com/ieee/telnet-neg-options-2003.pdf>http://walden-family.com/ieee/telnet-neg-options-2003.pdf
I hope Bernie can say how much he was thinking about this before our
airplane flight during which he described his idea on cocktail napkins.

The early RFCs (e.g., starting with 1) mention various people
involved with inventing NCP, including S. Crocker.  It seems to me
that more or less from the beginning they were talking about
terminals in addition to other things.  It would be interesting to
hear Steve Crocker's first-hand take on this.  RFC 15 by Steve
Carr   includes the first mention, I think, of the word "Telnet"; at
least that's the first mention we found when making the list RFCs
about Telnet at the end of
   <http://walden-family.com/public/telnet-overview.pdf>http://walden-family.com/public/telnet-overview.pdf
In that document, we tried to summarize the history (in one sense) of
the evolution of Telnet (see section 2) from the early "old" version
to the later "new" version, and this was where negotiated options
crept in.  The "NVT" word had already been around since at least RFC
137.  While there was explicit discussion about Telnet and Telnet
like stuff from the originators of NCP, apparently a committee was
working on it by RFC 137 whose members had mostly not been part of
the original NCP work::

                Will Crowther                 BBN
                Bob Long                      SDC
                John Melvin                   SRI-ARC
                Bob Metcalf                   Harvard
                Ed Meyer                      MAC
                Tom O'Sullivan (Chairman)     Raytheon
                Joel Winett                   MIT-LL

(Crowther was undoubtedly there because of the TIP software effort at
that time.)  So there are a lot of people who might be probed for
their memories of how the NVT came about and became explicit.

--
home address: 12 Linden Rd., E. Sandwich, MA 02537
home ph=508-888-7655; cell ph = 503-757-3137