[ih] Looking for F. Yates and P. Baran paper

John Kristoff jtk at depaul.edu
Sun Feb 26 05:52:46 PST 2012

On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 06:42:36AM -0000, John Levine wrote:
> I see the reference, which says it's report P-1996, but P-1996 on the
> RAND web site is something unrelated.  Is there anything other than
> this reference to suggest that they actually published the paper?

In the acknowledgment section of Paul Baran's P-1995 from RAND says:

  "Although the work in this paper has been performed at The RAND
  Corporation, the work described in the following two papers was done
  while this writer was employed by the Hughes Aircraft Co."

It is not clear to me if RAND or Hughes published them and as you noted
P-1996 from RAND is unrelated.  I can only guess, and hope, that they
survive, will be scanned and put online for posterity if not already
some place I've yet to stumble upon.

John