[ih] First file transfer on ARPANET

John Day jeanjour at comcast.net
Fri Dec 21 10:06:25 PST 2012

Yes, John is correct that if anything the emphasis was on resource
sharing.  And at Illinois, we took this quite seriously.  There were
several depts at Illinois using the Net.

We had people from the physics dept and from Argonne submitting jobs
to run on the UCLA 360/91, and on the machine at the Rutherford High
Energy lab in the UK. In fact, at one point we were the largest user
of Rutherford.  There was lively (illegal) illegal transfers going on
between CERN and Argonne through Rutherford.  (Much of this used the
CCN RJE protocol.)

In addition, we were doing research generating graphics from ERTS
satellite data.  We had wall sized line printer graphics (remember
those?) of Chicago, San Francisco and the Urbana area.  Two things I
remember about those were that we had close ups of O'Hare that we
could see the planes and runways.  On some, there were clouds and you
could see their shadow on the ground.

There was considerable amount energy related research going on. I
remember some applications that would compute at the /91 and then
ship data to a Tenex someplace to generate graphics files and then
draw the picture back in Illinois.

We also developed a land use management system called NARIS in 1975
for the 6 counties around Chicago, that used databases on both
coasts.  Was very graphics based with maps down to the section
(square mile).  It could display all sorts of land use and
demographics information.  Much of this we did what we called an
"intelligent terminal" (a sort of x-windows predecessor) with a strip
down version of UNIX on an LSI-11 with a plasma screen and touch.
The keyboard was only used if there was major data entry to do.

We were also running TNLS on an IMLAC to use Englebart's system.

And of course, starting in about 1971 all of our OS software
development was done at UCSD and downloaded over the net to the
PDP-11. (Initially an 11/20, later an 11/45).  In 1975, we put the
first Unix up on the Net.

I have probably left out a half dozen of the resource sharing
projects that we were doing.  They are probably in the annual
reports.  No they didn't generate RFCs.  Why would they?  There was
nothing to comment on.  People were simply using the Net as it was
intended.

Yes, there is a very mistaken myth floating about that the ARPANET
was only used the way Tymnet or Compuserve were used for terminal
sessions. This was far from the case.   (Probably makes people today
feel better about the fact that this is pretty much how they still
use it, except it is called the web. )

Our biggest problem was that our vision quickly outstripped the
capability of the computers of the day.  (NLS was a very good example
of working beyond the ragged edge)  Our model was that the Net should
be a virtual OS that we could just use.  Too bad those ideas were
abandoned and we haven't moved very far in the last 35 years.

It really is too bad that the Internet ended up being more like DOS
than a real OS.