[ih] First file transfer on ARPANET

Matthias Bärwolff matthias at baerwolff.de
Thu Dec 13 01:35:59 PST 2012

IMPs could get a copy of a neighboring IMP's software program, in
order to recover from failure or simply as a mechanism to distribute
new IMP software versions. This is sure documented in one of the very
early BBN reports on IMPs. Not a file transfer, strictly speaking;
more of a dd operation, I assume; but it's close.