[ih] First file transfer on ARPANET

John Day jeanjour at comcast.net
Wed Dec 12 14:54:33 PST 2012

My memory is that there were two meetings:  one at BBN in late Spring
of 73 and one at SRI in winter of 74.  There were some good ideas
that came out of the first one, including the famous NetEd!

I remember it was toward the end of the meeting. Someone suggested it
would be a good idea to have a common editor to use for small things
on every host.  (I remember groaning to myself that there was
probably no other program that was more a question of personal style.
We would never get agreement in any reasonable time frame!  ;-)  When
Padlipsky piped up and said that Chapter 1 of the MPM had a simple
editor as an example PL/1 program.  Why not use that?  Amazingly,
everyone said sure!  And what I thought was going to be an
interminable debate was done in 5 minutes!  By the second meeting,
there were several implementations. Of course, none of them were
precisely the same!  ;-)

By the 2nd meeting, it seemed there was a reasonable set of things to
start investigating.  It was really unfortunate that ARPA then chose
to shut the whole thing down.  It had great promise and was what was
needed for the next step in creating a true resource sharing network.
After that, there are no new applications for a very long time.

Take care,
John