[ih] Paul Baran

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Mon Mar 28 08:26:58 PDT 2011

    From: Guy Almes <galmes at tamu.edu>

    > Does anyone know if those classified papers might be declassified,
    > if only to allow scholars to more fully assess Paul's contributions?

I don't know if they have ever been declassified - the RAND site about
this work:

  http://www.rand.org/about/history/baran-list.html

doesn't contain them.

However, Baran himself said (in his oral history interview with CBI, pg.
25) that they "did not add much to the discussion", so I'm not sure we'd
learn much from them.

One covered "Weak spots and Patches", and it contained a couple of bugs
found by readers of the 11-volume set, and fixes for those issues. The
other concerned cryptography, which is obviously not central to the work.

A giant has left us.

	Noel