[ih] The origin of variable length packets

dave.walden.family at gmail.com dave.walden.family at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 07:22:12 PST 2011

When we wrote the proposal to do the IMP development job, we wrote the inner loop of the program and calculated how many packets per second an IMP could process, e.g., service a packet-arrived interrupt, lookup the next IMP on the route, queue the packet for output, and do the output instructions and the time for the hardware to take the packet out of memory, etc.  I am sure we did this for short as well as for full length packets.  I suspect these performance predictions were noted in the bid evaluation process at ARPA.