[ih] The origin of variable length packets

Dave Walden dave.walden.family at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 20:47:43 PST 2011

At 07:50 PM 2/28/2011, Noel Chiappa wrote:
>I would assume/guess that the first well-known and wide-scale use was in the
>ARPANet.For the ARPANET:
>   Frank Heart, Robert Kahn, Severo Ornstein, William Crowther, David Walden,
>   The Interface Message Processor for the ARPA Computer Network (1970 Spring
>   Joint Computer Conference, AFIPS Proc. Vol. 36, pp. 551.567, 1970)

>Hi,

I'm not close to home right now, so I can't look up what ARPA's call
for bids (RFQ) to develop the ARPANET IMP's specified.  I sort of
feel that it already specified that the host computers could send
messages that were variable length up to about 8,000 bits, and the
packet-subnet of IMPs broke these messages into about 1,000 bit
packets with the last packet in a message being possibly being
shorter than a full 1,000 bits.  Anyway, that's the way, as I
remember, that we initially implemented it in the IMPs.  I do
remember that there was a preconception of bi-modal message traffic
with file transfers being broken into 8,000 bit messages, and
interactive terminal traffic being messages of only 10s or 100s of
bits, i.e., one packet or less.  I also think I remember that the (I
think 24-bit) CRC on inter-IMP packets was calculated to have the
desired error detection rate based on 1,000 bit packets.

Dave

--
home address: 12 Linden Rd., E. Sandwich, MA 02537; home ph=508-888-7655;
Portland ph = 971-279-2173; cell ph = 503-757-3137; Sara cell ph = 508-280-0446