[ih] NIC, InterNIC, and Modelling Administration

Dave Walden dave.walden.family at gmail.com
Fri Feb 18 14:57:54 PST 2011

Matthias,
I'm not sure if my email address is accepted by the IH list.  If not,
will you please forward this message to the list.  See my notes below
your notes below.
Dave

You said:
      According to my research ca. one year ago, there are a host of prior
      papers essentially anticipating in full the point made in the 1977
      Davidson et al paper.
>     - Walden (Host-to-Host Protocols, 1975; reprinted in a 1978
>       McQuillan/Cerf tutorial published by IEEE) comes up with the famous
>       Figure with all the Arpanet protocols stacked on top of each other
>       (and some bypassing others) -- that Figure also features in the 1977
>       Davidson et al paper

The following is not intended to add substance to the current
discussion of laying on the IH list -- just to give a tiny personal
note.  The full reference to Walden, 1975 is "Host-to-Host
Protocols," International Computer State of the Art Report No.
24:  Network Systems and Software, Infotech, Maidenhead, England,
published 1975, pp. 287-316; reprinted in A Practical View
of  Computer Communication Protocols, J.M. McQuillan and V.G. Cerf,
IEEE, 1978, pp. 172-204.

Lyman Chapin told me at the time of his book with David Piscitello
(Open Systems Networking) that my 1975 paper was the first
(published?) instance he had found of that protocol layers figure.
That sort of surprised me as at the time the idea of layering had
been around (in my memory) since nearly the beginning, and my memory
was that we used that figure rather widely.  I do believe (although
old memories can be faulty) that I in fact was the person who first
drew that *particular version* of the laying figure to illustrate how
it seemed to me that the layers went together and that there was some
skipping around layers. I'm not sure if I drew it for the 1975
conference or earlier for some technical report to ARPA or other
informal note, and surely it was based on common knowledge at the time.

If the 1977 Davidson paper being mentioned is our six-author paper on
TELNET, the history there is that I conceived of the paper and asked
the other authors to participate, and Bob Thomas and I did the
integration of the individual parts with the paper passed around for
review as is normal for collaborative writing projects.  The author
order is of course alphabetical.  Including the layers figure in
there was surely my idea.