[ih] NIC, InterNIC, and Modelling Administration

John Day jeanjour at comcast.net
Fri Feb 18 08:02:22 PST 2011

Not exactly an apples and apple comparison.  When Telnet was done, no
one was quite sure what the architecture was.  By 1978, there was a
pretty good idea of what needed to be done and how to coordinate it.

The same could be said of the Internet model done a few years after
Zimmermann's paper.

Are you suggesting that standards should not build on current knowledge?

OSI was trying to assemble a set of standards.  It needed a
coordinating framework.