[ih] NIC, InterNIC, and Modelling Administration

John Day jeanjour at comcast.net
Fri Feb 18 06:25:13 PST 2011

At 8:35 -0500 2011/02/18, Miles Fidelman wrote:
>John Day wrote:
>>At 7:14 -0500 2011/02/18, Miles Fidelman wrote:
>>>You've said that before.  Can you elaborate with some examples of
>>>where ISO has simply codified existing practice?
>Screw threads, highway signs, paper size, HDLC, Transport Layer,
>Session Layer, Network Layer
>
>I was all set to buy "screw threads" - until I read the Wikipedia article on
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screw_thread#History_of_standardization
>
>Re. Transport, Session, Network layer: how can you say that with a
>straight face, after all the recent discussion here?  (I don't see
>an ISO number stamped on TCP/IP.)

I figured you would take the bait.  ;-)

TP4 was INWG 96 which was CYCLADES TS which had been operational since 1972.

Network:  X.25 was an ISO standard that had been in use since 1976.

Session:  Was lifted (for better or worse, mostly worse) from SGVIII
Videotex standards that were built and operating in France.

No there is no ISO number stamped on TCP.  That decision was worked
out in an open process in IFIP WG6.1 prior to start of OSI, which
chose a modified CYCLADES TS.

As long as we are on the topic, all of the IEEE 802 standards are
also ISO standards.  Ethernet was in use for close to 10 years before
it was an ISO standard.