[ih] X.500 document history (Re: NIC, InterNIC, and Modelling Administration)

Eric Gade eric.gade at gmail.com
Fri Feb 18 02:53:46 PST 2011

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 10:12 AM, Harald Alvestrand <harald at alvestrand.no>wrote:

> The first "operational" X.500 RFC was RFC 1218, "Naming scheme for c=US",
> dated April 1991, but it's also referred to in Karen Sollins' "A Plan for
> Internet Directory Services", July 1989.

Interesting. There is a draft of an unpublished paper written by Sollins in
Jan 1983 -- titled "Naming, Conversations, and Federation" -- that is in the
NIC collection (I've been informed that this went on to be included in her
dissertation). Its very presence in that collection probably means that
someone at the NIC was familiar with these kinds of ideas at the time,
possibly Jake Feinler or others that went on to do IFIP work.

--
Eric