[ih] NIC, InterNIC, and Modelling Administration

John Day jeanjour at comcast.net
Thu Feb 17 20:01:02 PST 2011

John,

All you say here about what happened in the 80s is true.  The
formation of JTC1 etc. But that was quite late to the game.

The idea of standardizing to a point in the future was set prior by
set the first meeting of SC16 in March 1978 and the Joint Development
with CCITT by 1979/80 was quite early.  (The biggest mistake in the
whole effort).  At that time, the idea was that things were changing
so fast that one had to shoot for a point in the future.

The world views between the computer companies and the European PTTs
were so different and the PTTs saw so much at stake, there was no way
anything good could have come from it.

It might have been better had the cooperation with CCITT not
happened. But with no deregulation even considered in 1979, the
European computer manufactures didn't have much choice.

To some degree this may well have been a strategy to get out ahead of
IBM and the PTTs. Given their dominance in the markets, had they not
attempted something like that and gone with standardizing current
practice it would have been SNA over X.25, instead of TP4 over CLNP.