[ih] NIC, InterNIC, and Modelling Administration

John Day jeanjour at comcast.net
Thu Feb 17 10:51:24 PST 2011

I would agree with Craig.  We knew from the early 70s we needed a
directory of some sort and Grapevine was the first attempt.  There
was little or no influence between DNS and X.500.

X.500 in the hands of the PTT faction and some misguided generalists
quickly got out of hand trying to be far more than simply resolving
application names to network addresses.  Making it so general made it
useless for that purpose.

The X.25, TCP/IP debate was broader than an OSI/Internet issue.

That debate was really a X.25 vs Transport Layer at all debate, which
had started around 1974. Years before OSI began. The transport side
of this debate was championed by INWG at the beginning.

n that debate, the research networks (NPL, CYCLADES, EIN,
ARPANET/Internet, and various other European research centers as well
as XNS) were all advocating a transport protocol while the PTTs
argued that an end-to-end Transport protocol was unnecessary.  X.25
was all you needed. For the Europeans, X.25 was forced on them by
their PTTs but everyone knew it was not a reliable service.  (Resets
lost data).  So at the very least Transport would operate over X.25.
I believe that the ARPANet used X.25 in place 1822 at the edge later.
(X.25 was strictly speaking an IMP-Host protocol or as they called
it, a DTE-DCE interface.)

This was the beginning of the connection/connectionless war that
continued at its most intense within OSI once it started.  In OSI it
was the war between CLNP/TP4 vs X.25/TP0 also known as X.25 only.  I
could never figure out what the PTT position was all about since it
was obvious that X.25 would not handle the bandwidth that we were
using.

But in those pre-deregulation days, the PTTs stunting business growth
in Europe was the norm.

Take care,
John