[ih] secure email was The Internet Plan; was: Ken Olsen's impact on the Internet

Bernie Cosell bernie at fantasyfarm.com
Wed Feb 16 18:10:59 PST 2011

On 16 Feb 2011 at 19:52, James Galvin wrote:

> -- On February 16, 2011 6:06:36 PM -0500 Bernie Cosell
> <bernie at fantasyfarm.com> wrote regarding [ih] secure email was  The
> Internet Plan;	was: Ken Olsen's impact on the Internet --
>
> > Am I correct that every proposal
> > that's floated by so  far has involved EVERY email sender and
> > recipient having a personal  public key?

> As a concept, change an email address to a domain name by replacing the
> "@" with a ".".  Then lookup the public key for that user.  For that
> matter, lookup the certificate for that user, which could even be
> self-signed.

I'm still trying to catch up with this, so bear with me if you could:

you're suggesting that, for example, that when you signed up for the IH
mailing list and decided to use "galvin+internet-history at elistx.com" as
your email address for it, rather than just typing that in and starting
to use it you'd first have to go to some central registry somewhere and
"register" that address and have it get its own keyset, and then
appropriately enter its private key into every email client you'll ever
use [else you can't properly _generate_ an email from
"galvin+internet-history at elistx.com", yes?].  Is this about how it'd
work?   Seems a bit cumbersome, but I guess it'd prevent anyone from
forging email that'd look like it came from you.

  /Bernie\

mailto:bernie at fantasyfarm.com     Pearisburg, VA