[ih] secure email was The Internet Plan; was: Ken Olsen's impact on the Internet

Bernie Cosell bernie at fantasyfarm.com
Wed Feb 16 15:06:36 PST 2011

I'm a little confused [which usually means I'm misunderstanding
something].  the springboard for this sort-of-side topic was my comment
[somewhat in jest] about SMTP still being with us and from there a
discussion of what, if anything, might actually be a candidate for a
successor to it.  Am I correct that every proposal that's floated by so
far has involved EVERY email sender and recipient having a personal
public key?  If not, then perhaps someone could help me understand where
I got confused.  If so, then is there any rational way even to consider a
system that might involve allocating [and managing] several hundred
million public keys?  AFAIK the PKI system barely works now... if every
person who wants to participate in email 2.0 has to get a personal public-
key, that's going to be a bit of a mess, no?

  /Bernie\

mailto:bernie at fantasyfarm.com     Pearisburg, VA