[ih] The Internet Plan; was: Ken Olsen's impact on the Internet

John R. Levine johnl at iecc.com
Wed Feb 16 09:13:20 PST 2011

> the obvious next thing would be some kind of uniform agreement on
> strong authentication of the source of email and protecting contents.
> I know about PGP of course, but it's not uniformly implemented and I
> think we could usefully try again. Last time we tried, it was called
> PEM and suffered from too pure a hierarchy of certificates, I think.

S/MIME is implemented in all of the popular MUAs, but nobody uses it
because of the key distribution problems.  DKIM is a simpler signing
scheme where the granularity is a domain rather than a user, and puts keys
in the DNS.  It seems to be reasonably successful, in large part because
it's primarily MTA->MTA rather than MUA->MUA and there's a lot fewer MTAs
to configure.

Regards,