[ih] The Internet Plan; was: Ken Olsen's impact on the Internet

Dave CROCKER dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Tue Feb 15 05:36:45 PST 2011

On 2/14/2011 9:37 PM, Jack Haverty wrote:
> Later on that week, we went around the room again and asked everyone to
> tell us what they could about their future plans - where were they
> heading, which technical path(s), timing, etc.
>
> The responses absolutely astounded me.

In the late 80s I was running an engineering shop that did TCP stacks for a
variety of platforms.  (We were one of your PC choices, although the cash cow
was for DEC's VMS.)

In anticipation of the industry switch to OSI, we added an OSI stack as an OEM
package and made a point to build a TCP-to-OSI gateway package to help folks
with their transition to the newer global standard.

When we went to sell it, we found that the only transition products folks were
asking for was OSI-to-TCP.

Seriously.

d/
--