[ih] The Internet Plan; was: Ken Olsen's impact on the Internet

Richard Bennett richard at bennett.com
Mon Feb 14 14:00:24 PST 2011

Right, there's always a lot of motivation for standards, especially in
networking where interoperability is job 1.

My recollection of the process of networking standards back in the late
70s and early 80s was that TCP/IP was meant to be discarded in favor of
a more mature approach after some experience was gained with
internetworking. Hence, shortcuts were taken with respect to things like
the IPv4 address and the reliance on the WKS convention that everyone
knew were sub-optimal at the time. But somehow this TCP/IP successor
standard that incorporated the acquired wisdom was never developed.

Why is that?

RB

--
Richard Bennett