[ih] TCP fat pipe chronology (was Ken Olsen's impact on the Internet)

Guy Almes galmes at tamu.edu
Thu Feb 10 07:14:55 PST 2011

Craig et al.,
   With regard to TCP and fat pipes, there were (at least) two kinds of
things going on:
<> changes to algorithms while leaving the TCP protocol untouched (e.g.,
improved retransmit timers and VJ's wonderful congestion window work), and
<> eventual changes in the TCP protocol (e.g., window scaling)

   In this context, how did DECnet Phase-IV fit in?  Was it more
capable, less so, or about the same as TCP?  I know the HEPnet and SPAN
folks were making heavy use shipping (what then passed for) large files
around the world.

   Separate question: how would OSI (=?? DECnet Phase-V??) have compared?

   Curious,
	-- Guy