[ih] [IP] EFF calls for signatures from Internet Engineers against censorship

Dave CROCKER dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Thu Dec 22 07:21:08 PST 2011

On 12/22/2011 6:15 AM, John Curran wrote:
> On Dec 22, 2011, at 9:09 AM, Dave CROCKER wrote:
>> We often have measures at our disposal which would produce such violations
>> and, therefore, are not permitted to use them.
>
> That's why there are judges, Dave.

Well, indeed, one of the purposes of appeals courts is for remedying the
creation of bad laws.

However their existence is not usually offered as justification for creating
laws that violate civil rights.

The requirement for balancing capabilities against civil rights issues is an
affirmative responsibility of the process for /creating/ laws.

Your language ignores that requirement.

d/

ps.  Bsides being out of scope for this list, this exchange hasn't been an
engaged process of collaborative exchange to explore concerns. So I'll bow out.

--

   Dave Crocker
   Brandenburg InternetWorking