[ih] [IP] EFF calls for signatures from Internet Engineers against censorship

Paul Vixie paul at redbarn.org
Wed Dec 21 07:44:32 PST 2011

On 12/21/2011 2:19 PM, John Curran wrote:
> For example, if you had a bill which specified SOPA-like measures entirely
> for the purposes of defeating child pornography, I might very well support
> such a bill.  Yes, the measures would have technical issues, would be readily
> subverted, the powers might be abused, etc...  but in the end, the need for
> a very high deterrent to such crimes warrants all of the downsides (as a
> quick review of the adopted legislation in this area will demonstrate)

I think you'd be wrong to support such a bill, whose positive impact
could never be more than to signify the government's displeasure toward
a certain kind of content -- it would not protect children from this
kind of abuse -- whereas its negative impacts would be far reaching. See:

http://thehill.com/blogs/congress-blog/technology/199435-mandates-cant-alter-facts

Paul