[ih] [IP] EFF calls for signatures from Internet Engineers against censorship

Paul Vixie paul at redbarn.org
Wed Dec 21 06:06:55 PST 2011

Robert Heinlein, writing as Dr. Pinero, wrote:

There has grown up in the minds of certain groups in this country the
notion that because a man or corporation has made a profit out of the
public for a number of years, the government and the courts are charged
with the duty of guaranteeing such profit in the future, even in the
face of changing circumstances and contrary to public interest. This
strange doctrine is not supported by statute or common law. *Neither
individuals nor corporations have any right to come into court and ask
that the clock of history be stopped, or turned back.*

  * /Life-Line/ (1939)

I think this would be a poor debating position in the SOPA or PIPA
discussions, but it does not seem factually wrong.

Paul

re: