[ih] Fwd: [IP] EFF calls for signatures from Internet Engineers against censorship

Richard Bennett richard at bennett.com
Mon Dec 19 16:27:09 PST 2011

I think it's good that Internet engineers have political opinions about
the work that Congress is seeking to do with their rogue sites bills and
that they're willing to share them. There's no question that our
democracy works best with broad participation and good ideas from all
quarters.  There are questions about the most efficient approaches for
dealing with IPR problems, as well as the most just, fair,
cost-effective and reasonable ones.

In your role as a security expert, Congress is especially interested in
your opinion about the implications that domain blacklisting has for the
hoped-for deployment of DNSSEC and advice on any measures they can take
to support DNSSEC. That kind of advice is actually distinct from your
general views on IPR, law enforcement, due process, jurisprudence, and
the democratic process, however.

But I can't blame people for opining about the broad range of issues
when they've been asked a very narrow question. That makes for fun
debates, the invention of new/old principles, and alternate approaches
that might be better. So whatever floats.

RB

--
Richard Bennett