[ih] Fwd: [IP] EFF calls for signatures from Internet Engineers against censorship

Richard Bennett richard at bennett.com
Mon Dec 19 12:35:28 PST 2011

The main question that the lawmakers considering SOPA and PROTECT-IP
need an answer to pertains to the effect of mandating domain filtering
on the deployment of DNSSEC. The EFF's letter is being waved around in
committee as "proof" that SOPA will somehow undermine DNSSEC or impede
its eventual deployment, as in "these 83 security experts say that this
bill threatens the security of the Internet."

The implications of adopting a law that requires U. S. ISPs to alter
their response to certain DNS lookups depends to a great extent on the
expected user response to a lookup failure, which is a very interesting
discussion but not really technical.

To me, the more interesting question is whether there's a direct
conflict between DNS filtering and the DNS itself. The bill is based on
the RPZ feature in BIND9 that allows a DNS administrator to attach
policy to DNS queries. This feature is controversial in some quarters in
its own right, but there's not much of an issue with its current
implementation and DNSSEC. When BIND9 finds a user looking up a signed
domain, it simply bypasses the RPZ logic and gives a straight answer.

The intent of SOPA is to have it follow the RPZ implementation, and
Congress needs to know whether doing so undermines Internet security,
impedes the deployment of DNSSEC, or threatens the Internet or DNS in
some way.

The alternative to DNS-level filtering is to have ISPs use ACLs to block
access to particular subdomains or even smaller units. That seems a bit
problematic from and overhead perspective so I'd rather not go there.
That seems to be going on in the Goodlatte amendment.

Anyhow, I'm interested in the topic, and if this isn't the most
appropriate venue for discussing it, I'm happy to move the discussion
somewhere else.

Thanks

--
Richard Bennett