[ih] [IP] EFF calls for signatures from Internet Engineers against censorship

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Mon Dec 19 09:41:25 PST 2011

On Dec 19, 2011, at 9:28 AM, Dave CROCKER wrote:

> It suffers from a degree of factual accuracy while being entirely misleading.

No intent to be misleading...

> Its premise is that the cited problem would not exist, had the early development effort merely attended to the need.

That's not my premise.

> That is, it presumes that solutions to such concerns are/were technically available, well-understood, highly effective, and would have been likely to obtain community consensus.
>
> None of those 4 conditions actually applied or even apply now(!)
> At base, these problems derive from entirely social problems and they have had limited-to-no solution outside of the Internet context, that is, in the "real" world.

Please reread my note: I noted that the benefit of having such mechanisms
in this case *is not that they would be useful* as a solution, but that
they would serve to highlight that the  underlying problems are the result
of "actual failure of common values & diplomacy" (i.e. or as you put it,
derived from entirely social problems)

/John