[ih] [IP] EFF calls for signatures from Internet Engineers against censorship

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Mon Dec 19 05:19:01 PST 2011

Keith -

  Government has certain functions that it has to perform (including law
  enforcement), but generally those tasks are performed with respect to
  "real world entities" such as people and businesses.  It's perfectly
  reasonable for government to be able to request and obtain the legal
  parties that were involved in a given communication (even if the answer
  is nothing more detailed than valid legal contact for a university or
  women's shelter network or whistleblowers non-profit....)  When parties
  in multiple jurisdictions are communicating, it's particularly important
  that governments are involved, since there may be very different views
  about free speech, due process, fair use, libel, etc.)

  We've completed failed to provide a framework which allows governments
  to identify parties and hence use their existing mechanisms (e.g. courts,
  diplomacy) when it comes to the Internet, and we should not be surprised
  therefore at government attempts to more directly control communications.

  It's a shame, since if we had provided better mechanisms, then the inability
  for the US government to obtain cooperation to identify and shutdown a given
  foreign website streaming US-illegal content would much more clearly be seen
  as an actual failure of common values & diplomacy rather than "a problem with
  the Internet" per se.

/John