[ih] Some old host tables

Craig Partridge craig at aland.bbn.com
Sat Mar 27 12:42:38 PDT 2010

Hi Noel:

This is great stuff -- I'd forgotten how detailed the old host tables were
(in particular, the NET and GATEWAY entries for network numbers and router
connections between networks).  You can pretty much build a complete network
map from them -- they'd be a great complement to the Brescia maps in the
IETF proceedings.

Reading the 1984 host tables and remembering how small the world was, was
also a blast.  (The 1983 tables appear to be MIT and Stanford specific).

I also was reminded that my first host (LOKI.ARPA, BBN-LOKI -- one of the first
SUN workstations) was initially on the CRONUS network, not 128.89.

Thanks!

Craig

> In the process of getting ready to try and correct something on Snopes.Com,
> I've been trying to sort out some early Internet history ((ca. '79-'80), I ra
> across a site with a number of host tables from the mid-80's:
>
>   http://saildart.org/prog/NET/HST_NET/.browser.html
>
> I seem to recall that every so often there's a call for these....
>
>   Noel
Craig Partridge
Chief Scientist, BBN Technologies
E-mail: craig at aland.bbn.com or craig at bbn.com