[ih] IEN Notes and INWG

John Day jeanjour at comcast.net
Mon Mar 22 05:05:57 PDT 2010

Off list.  And in confidence.

The development efforts on individual protocols
was always local with common discussions at INWG.
So to characterize TCP development as being just
at INWG would be incorrect.  There were always
ARPA sponsored meetings on TCP outside of INWG
meetings.  Also, INWG was not CCITTT oriented at
all.  In fact, quite the opposite.  CCITT's
decision to go with X.25 was made much earlier.
The first version was 1976 and they were
committed to it well before that.

The final meeting on the INWG Transport was held
in London in late 1977 and first published as an
appendix to a conference held in Leige by Andre
Danthine in .  The first OSI meeting was in Feb
1978.  The first OSI meeting was held in
Washington DC in March 1978.  The second in
October in Paris.  I don't remember but when the
first official liaison contribution was made.
You would have to check the TC97/SC16 document
list.  But it was probably soon there after.  Tom
Steel of ATT was the IFIP liaison representative.
It would have been a contribution to WG3 on Lower
Layers.

Now for the in confidence part.  INWG was
originally created to promote TCP in 74.  When
INWG decided to do some thing different, it is
pretty clear that Vint "decided to take his ball
and go home."  There were US meetings in 1978 and
maybe into 1979 in which ARPA funded
organizations participated.  By probably 79 and
definitely by 80,  Vint prevented anyone with a
DARPA contract from participating in OSI
meetings.  (I don't believe there were ever any
ARPA funded researchers at any of the US
architecture meetings (which I chaired). He tried
to widen it to all DoD funding, but inter-agency
rivalry kept that from happening.  My funding and
Hal Folts' was from DCA (Defense Communication
Agency) and I remember it happening.

But you are not starting to tread on a touchy
subject.  This is where the collaboraion of the
international research community really begins to
break down.  Before this, ideas were flying back
and forth and everyone was bouncing off everyone
else.  After this, it gets personal.  (Notice how
the Americans make a big deal about packet
switching being the big breakthrough, not
datagrams.  And how everyone believes that the
Internet is based on the ARPANet, when in fact it
is based on CYCLADES.   They have to keep the
role of the French out of it.  One can make a
pretty good case that as happens often, the
people who adopted someone else's idea didn't
really understand it.  The Internet didn't really
understand CYCLADES and got caught flat-footed.)
If you want to keep your sources contributing.  I
would be very careful how you approach this.  The
implications of what they didn't understand are
only now coming out from under Moore's Law, so
the subject is not just of historical interest.

This is the start of the separation from the ARPA
side.  There was a US group that maintained
participation in both and were the primary movers
that got CLNP developed in OSI and engineered the
ROAD process.  However, the damage was done. The
isolation of the two groups had created the
suspicion and animosity within the IETF.  So that
when IPv7 was proposed it was soundly rejected by
the IETF.  Leading to the current impending
crisis with IPv6.

This is a lot more complicated.  I have a
presentation that I characterize as the "Guns,
Germs, and Steel" of networking.  That makes the
case that we are where we are because of outside
forces of economics and politics, not by science
and technology.  Once you have a picture of where
we should be, it is pretty easy to see the
current Internet has been basically stagnate
since the mid-70s living on band-aids and Moore's
Law.

You might want to look at the preface and last
chapter of my book, Patterns in Network
Architecture.

Take care,
John