[ih] DNS History

John Day jeanjour at comcast.net
Mon Mar 8 19:09:50 PST 2010

At 18:14 -0800 2010/03/08, Dave Crocker wrote:
>On 3/8/2010 5:46 PM, John Day wrote:
>>>
>>>X.500 was a user name registration scheme, originally designed to
>>>lookup users, especially for email. It started with the premise that,
>>>done in scale, a human name is not unique so that other
>>
>>Actually, it wasn't.
>
>The key word was "originally".  That was the specific goal in the
>initial design sessions I attended.
>
>Things evolve.  IPv6 started simple, too.  So did Internet Mail, the
>Web, etc., etc.  Sometimes bloat sets in during initial discussion,
>sometimes during design, sometimes after a decade of use.  It isn't
>inevitable.  Perhaps.

Ah, yes, Dave attending one design session would certainly be
definitive.  Whereas, I was probably in only 50-100+ X.500 related
meetings from before it was even a Work Item or it was known as X.500
and was the designated arbiter by SC21 on some of their more
controversial issues.  But then what would I know?

>>>attributes would be needed to distinguish the target user. Since if
>>>flowed from X.400, the concept of a simple, global, unique email
>>>address was already a lost cause. (Your global address was
>>
>>Actually it didn't flow from X.400, it was just the same people. The
>>plan to a directory was in place from early on.
>
>It came directly from needing to find email addresses.  It was not
>an accident that it was the same people.  They knew that X.400
>addresses were unwieldy and they knew that the global scale of an
>email service required some way of finding addresses.\

As I said, actually it didn't.  That was later as the scope expanded.

>(Odd historical note, given your citing him:  John White wrote an
>early Arpanet NCP implementation for an IBM 360, at UC Santa
>Barbara.  I've heard rumors that it was the first NCP that was
>operational.)

Jack White was at SRI in the early days and was responsible for much
of the NSW.

>>>relative to your provider, which led to some interesting business
>>>cards, for folks who had multiple providers.)
>>
>>But then since you were in all those meetings that reviewed their work,
>>you knew all of that didn't you?
>
>I included "earliest discussions" and "My first participation" with
>the intent of constraining the scope of my comments.  These were the
>formative meetings for the standards effort.

Really.  I don't remember seeing your name on any of the delegate
lists representing the US.  Once again, I think you only perceived
them to the be the formative discussions.  Discussions had been going
on for some time.

>I've no idea what "all those meetings" refers to, particularly in
>terms of reviewing the X.500 effort.

You do remember Hoyt Kesterson's participation in X.500?  Who do you
think put him there?

Take care,
John