[ih] The origin of the NVT

Bob Braden braden at ISI.EDU
Fri Jan 22 10:59:41 PST 2010

A hasty scan of this discussion of NVT seemed to reveal an omission that
seems remarkable to me: Jon Postel's contribution. I associate the
protocol terminology "Network Virtual Terminal" with Jon, and I think it
represented  his clarity of vision.

The other omission is what I believe to be the heart of the NVT: the
treatment of end of line across diverse operating systems with differing
EOL conventions. Again, I associate the adoption of CR LF with Jon, and
I think of it as the core of the NVT concept. Option negotiation seems
to be, and was historically, another concept layered on top of the
NVT.(I was at the ISI meeting where D/D/W/W was first presented, I think.)

Finally, as a purveyor of one of the IBM systems on the ARPAnet that
(D)ARPA considered important, I take
part of the credit/blame for making the default NVT options be a
least-common-denominator terminal, an IBM 2741. Me and Joel Winett.at
Lincoln Labs, who had an IBM TSS.360 system.

Bob Braden