[ih] History of Network Virtual Terminal (NVT)

Bernie Cosell bernie at fantasyfarm.com
Fri Jan 22 10:03:43 PST 2010

On 22 Jan 2010 at 12:00, John Day wrote:

> Actually, my question is who came up with making the protocol symmetrical?
>
> That was the brilliant insight, even more so than the NVT.  Everyone
> else saw this problem as an assymmetric terminal to host protocol.
> What made Telnet unique and so useful was seeing it as symmetircal.

I guess that'd be me.  [at least I did something back then that someone
thinks was useful.. :o)].  You're right about the asymmetry and in
working through the option negotiations [echoing, etc] it was clear that
aysmmetry wasn't working: terminals needed to tell the servers of their
preferences, servers needed to tell terminals of their preferences, and
there needed to be some way to resolve conflicts, all the while realizing
that it was symmetric and so acceptances or refusals could pass like
ships in the night.  It was largely in my court because since I was "the
TIP guy" at the time I ended up worrying about that stuff [from the
terminal side of things].

As Dave and I were flying to LA, I worked out a scheme (it really was on
the napkin on the airplane -- *that* I remember! :o)) that I presented at
the meeting and argued would be guaranteed *always* to settle on an
agreement [that is never to go into a loop] no matter which side did [or
wanted to do] what.  As I recall, no one at the meeting was really all
that interested in the details -- everyone agreed it would be a good
thing and it looked like I had cobbled up something that would work [and
I think I had decent technical-cred with the group at that time, so they
were willing to buy into a lot of hand waving on my part].  And so I was
sent back to BBN to nail down the details and that became
will/wont/do/dont.

  /Bernie\
mailto:bernie at fantasyfarm.com     Pearisburg, VA