[ih] Dot Com etc

Dave CROCKER dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Thu Jan 21 07:45:23 PST 2010

On 1/21/2010 7:13 AM, Noel Chiappa wrote:
>       From: Vint Cerf<vint at google.com>
>
>      >  not by much. DNS 1984; NSFNET 1986
>
> Yes, but back then things were happening so fast we were all living on dog
> time - two years was forever! :-)

I don't think it changes any of the core parts of this thread, but accuracy
probably dictates noting that the DNS was not viable as critical infrastructure
replacement for the hosts table until somewhere around 1987, as I recall.

The MX record was a key bit of breakthrough for this, in my predictable opinion
(though I had nothing to do with that work.)  Remember that it was developed
after previous, unsuccessful tries to specify the email 'routing' record.

d/

--

   Dave Crocker
   Brandenburg InternetWorking